Friday 11 February 2011

Merrily Mordant Melancholy, Marry and Max


Mary Dinkle is an eight-year-old little gurl living in the suburb in Melbourne and Max Horowitz is a  44 year-old men living in New York City. They seem to have noting in common, however, when Marry picked up a name from the telephone book and write to Max in order to know if 'the American babies are found in cola can (the Australian babies are from beer glasses, according to Marry's drunkard mother), the two started an usual friendship across lands and ocean.


Surprisingly they have lots in common. They're unhappy, friendless, having trouble getting along with others and do not like their looks. 


Max goes to the Overeaters Anonymous Meetings regularly. 
It would be good if there was a Fat Fairy. She would be a bit like the Tooth Fairy but would suck out your fat. 
Marry's troubled by her birthmark.
Yesterday at school, Bernie Clifford weed on my spam sandwich and called me "poo face" 'cos of my birthmark.


They share their life to each other in a and Marry often asked Max all kinds of questions and despite of his difficulty of dealing with the anxiety an stress from the letters, he tried his best to answer them all. 


From the very beginning of the animation, it makes me smile at Marry's native and blunt question to the world and Max's candour and almost emotionless narrative about his life. However my laughter did not last for long, because it has no intention to make you happy by showing you a colourful, bright, and positive world. The tone of the animation is gloomy grey, well, I'd say it's brown, like the colour of chocolate. 


And this says a lot.  First of all, chocolate links the two. They' send chocolate across the world to each other and share their love for it. A bar of cheery chocolate can simply make the two feel life's easier. Secondary, life, if put it this way, taste like chocolate. You taste the bitterness at first bite, and then, depending on what kind of chocolate you're having, you experience the slight sweetness or the crunchy nuts rubbing your teeth while chewing. Human's not perfect. Life's not easy, not constantly jolly, not always goes as you expected. Shit happens. It goes on. 


Your hateful parents, coworkers, boss, neighbors remains troublesome every single day. And it's good to have someone there care about you. 


Dr Bernard Hazelhof said if I was on a desert island, then I would have to get used to my own company, just me and the coconuts.  
He said I would have to accept myself, my warts and all, and that we don't get to choose our warts.
  
They are a part of us and we have to live with them.
  
We can, however, choose our friends and I am glad I have chosen you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails